Canvas Video Recording Instructions
You can use the Rich Content Editor to record video and audio media. You can record media for any length of time, but shorter media recordings are recommended. If your media is longer than 15 minutes, you may want to consider recording and uploading using an external provider. Longer media recordings require more time to render and may be interrupted without a stable internet connection.
Several features in Canvas support the Rich Content Editor, including Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, and Quizzes.Canvas videos also support caption files. Once you record and save your video, learn how to add captions to a video.
- The Safari browser does not support recording media. Please use Chrome or Firefox to record media from the Rich Content Editor.
- Media recorded in the Rich Content Editor is saved in the Uploaded Media folder in your User Files or Group Files, depending on where it is recorded. If media is recorded for an assignment submission, the media file is stored in your User Files.
Open Rich Content Editor
Open the Rich Content Editor when using one of the Canvas features which support the Editor.
- Note: The Rich Content Editor supports keyboard shortcuts. To view the Keyboard Shortcuts menu, click the Keyboard icon or press ALT+F8 (PC keyboard) or ALT+FN+F8 (Mac keyboard).
Select Record Media from Toolbar
To upload media from the toolbar, click the Media icon .
- You can also upload media from the media options menu. To view additional media options, click the Media Options arrow . Then select the Upload/Record Media option .
- To view the Media icon, you may have to click the Options icon .
- Note: If the Media icon does not display in the toolbar, media uploads have been disabled by your institution.
Record Media from Menu bar
Click the Insert link . Navigate to view the Media options , and select the Record/Upload Media option .
Open Media Recording Tool
Click the Record tab.
Select Mic and Webcam Options
- The media recorder connects to your computer's default microphone and web cam.
- To change your microphone settings, click the Mic button . Then select from the displayed options .
- To change your webcam settings, click the Webcam button . To disable video recording, select the No Video option .
Click the Start Recording button
Finish Media Recording
- The media recorder displays the length of your current recording .
- To restart your recording, click the Start Over button .
- To finish your recording, click the Finish button .
Preview Recorded Media
Preview your recorded media in the media recorder.
- To title your media, type in the Title field .
- To embed your media in the Rich Content Editor, click the Save button .
View Embedded Media
View your uploaded media file in the Rich Content Editor.
Click the Save button.
- Note: When using the Rich Content Editor in Discussions, the Save button may appear as the Post Reply button.
Save and Find Content
Media recorded in the Rich Content Editor is saved in the Uploaded Media folder in your User Files or Group Files, depending on where it is recorded. If media is recorded for an assignment submission, the media file is stored in your User Files.